Thursday, January 15, 2009

Introducing Frances Louise Black Green


This is Frances, but her friends called her Fran, and her best friends called her Frannie. I called her Mommy, and when I got older, I called her momma, and my children called her Noni. (she wanted Nana, but my first daughter and first grandchild, just couldn't say it right, so Noni stuck)
My brother would call her Mother and sometime with that strong tone, but that is what brothers do. Oh, and Dad would call her FRANNIE with a strong tone sometimes too, I guess it is a guy thing.
Her name was Frances Louise Black. Her older sister was Viriginia Black and when she married, she married a man named George Icke. Ginnie went from Black to Icke. When one of their daughters married, She married a Brown, so it went Black-Icke-Brown. When my mother got married, she married a Green. So Frannie Black became a Green.
Later, when my Aunt died, my Uncle remarried and married a woman named White. He turned her Icke as well.
This is a completely true story and has absolutely nothing to do with this blog..but thought it was well worth documenting!
My mother was a strong woman. She was raised by a strong woman who married later in life and lost her husband when my mother was only 11 years old. Grace, my mothers mom, took over her husbands business, not a common thing to do in 1928. Her husband was an insurance man, and while the depression was hitting so many, Grace sold insurance, and landed some big accounts. This sent my mother through Northwestern University earning a nice teaching degree and having a positive attitude towards everything in life. That positivity was the very thing, that kept her alive until she was 91+ with her family at her side.
But this blog is also going to be about all the stuff that seems to happen to us who are left..I guess I just need a place to write...
so for wonderful moms..and lessons about to be learned...
catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment