Friday, January 16, 2009

Going back to the senior living center...


Frannie was a fun person..always had alot of friends and loads of activities. She was a starter...she was even voted woman of the year. She was president of her woman's club and started so many other clubs in her community. She was Active with a large A.
So when she turned 91, her body was not as active as her mind, and as the daughter along with my brother, we had to make the call and get her into a Senior living center. The kind that you have your own apartment, and someone to make sure you take your pills, and a place where everyone eats.
She hated it. She was mad and angry..but at 108lbs and 5ft 8" she had to be cared for. And she would not allow anyone to live with her, and she would not live with either of us. She was stubborn and angry. Angrier than I ever saw her, angrier than she was when I was 13 and rebellous, but in her heart she knew she had to move. We didn't sell her house. We told her she could go home if she had someone live with her. She refused. So she began to stay in a senior living center. And I began to volunteer. All the time. I was there almost daily..as much as I possibly could. I knew everyone. I decided to embrace this season and help her cope, as well as us having some quality time together.
She left for the hospital in the end of October 2008, and didnt go back to her newly decorated room.
The Senior Center called me today, they want me to come over tomorrow, help teach a class.
(I taught alot of classes there) They said they missed me, and that the residents missed me.
I dont want to go....but I need to cross this bridge. is it too soon?
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment