Thursday, March 5, 2009

another transition..


My mother was a grandmother and i mean a GRANDMOTHER..you know the type..the ones that made everything about the grandkids..everything....

and i lived close by..which means that she was in their lives all the time..
from the minute they were born..
(literally as in the case of my youngest) and at every function possible..
even in my moms 89th year, she headed out to see my middle daughter married, would not miss it for the world..( and she was married in Italy!)


she truly excelled at being a grandmother...

she really was our biggest fan and gave unconditional love..

so when she lay dying last december, I was fortunate to have one of my daughters with me...the other two live overseas..and i was able to put them on the phone...and she was able to talk with them before she died..

we talked about how they were fine...how she did such a good job...
how she didnt have to worry about them....

she heard me...and a tear fell down her cheek...

so when she died, all my children came back...two flew in from out of the country....
and then, over the weeks after..one by one they went home...

but my eldest  was able to stay for awhile..she has been here since my mom died...since her beloved "noni" died...the timing amazingly enough was perfect and she was in a good place finishing up her degree and had a few months that she could give  to me...helping me clean out the house..go thru the papers..haul out things..go to lawyers.. accountants...and all of that....we went to movies...shopped, hung out and cried...we had long late night talks...and it was quite special...

and today..almost 3 months have gone by...and it was time for her to fly to her home, to go on with HER life. I was so so fortunate to have been able to have that much time with her...amazing...

so i took her to the airport...and suddenly i felt as though that crutch that i didnt even know i was using...was taken away...for a few moments, maybe even more than a few..inside,  i was really shook...

we of course ...hugged...we of course.. cried...but i could tell  and so could she),  it is time....

i know noni would want it that way... she would want her grandchildren's lives to be rich and full....she would be the cheerleader in the front telling all her friends about all my kids latest accomplishments...

noni, thank you for loving my kids so much...for being there for everything...for every phone call..for everytime you babysat...everytime you picked them up from school, or girl scouts, for all the school plays we went to..or band concerts...for all the birthday parties..for all the cards ..i cant even begin to list all the things you did..for you were such a foundation for them..but most of all..thank you, for all the unconditional love and support and for teaching my children what love looks like...

catherine


1 comment: